Monday, December 10, 2007

More on Directory Submitter - Free Directory Submission

So far I have used the free version of the Directory Submitter software to submit my blogs as well as my main website, FreeStuffed to a large variety of free directories. If you don't know what the Directory Submitter is, you can read more about it in a previous article here.

Anyway, the free version of Directory Submitter comes with around 350 directories where you can submit your website or blog. There are some of the directories that charge, but there are also lots of them that are free and the software allows you to sort the directories in several different ways. I generally sort them so the free ones come up first, then work my way down the line. Every once in a while I come across a paid directory that is listed as free, but they aren't common and can easily be skipped over. I also find that I run into some directories that are no longer active, or that just don't work, but there are many more that do and since the software fills in the forms for me it saves me enough time to make it well worth my time.

Another thing I like about the Directory Submitter is that if I don't like a directory, I can just delete it from my list. I can also report a directory as not functioning. They don't get removed from my software when I report them, but hopefully they check them out and maybe add a working site the next time someone else downloads it. I'm not sure how that part works.

The point is that since I have been using this, I have been watching the number of backlinks to my websites slowly climb. It will take a while, so don't expect miracles to happen overnight, but at least I can see some progress.

If you are interested in faster results there are a lot more directories available on the paid version. Personally, I haven't tried it. I don't feel the need to get into the paid advertising right now. I know that it is available if I need it, but for right now, I think that there are plenty of directories to keep me busy for at least a little while on the free version of Directory Submitter. If anyone else tries this, please give me your opinion.